Thursday, July 14, 2011

Our happy little family

If you ask my husband if he's a dog or a cat person, he'll reply no (or neither, or some response to let you know he doesn't do pets). It's not that he doesn't like them, he just doesn't see the logic in them. And there really isn't. They are just cute, fluffy, fun additions to the family. So, when we were dating, I made it very clear that I had a cat who was coming with me. If you want Allison, you get Precious too. And he slowly accepted that and came to terms with it.

The day after we got back from our honeymoon, we drove to my mom's house and picked up Precious and her few possessions. Precious rode on my lap all the way to the new house (a whole mile!) and meowed pretty much the whole way. She kept looking back trying to figure out what was going on. The first day, Precious went to work dusting, I mean hiding in every nook and cranny of our home. She discovered she could fit behind the washing machine, then hid behind the dryer when I started to do laundry. That night I'm fairly certain she didn't move an inch.

Slowly, Precious has adjusted to Jon and Jon has adjusted to Precious. I knew we would be good the day I came around the corner to find Jon cradling Precious and petting her. It was further confirmed when I found her laying on Jon's stomach, not letting him up to do anything. She usually jumps into my lap when given the choice, but these days it's taking her longer and longer to decide whether to pick Jon's lap or mine. And of course, she's finding favorite spots around the house as well. Like this one.
And now that the bean bag chair is in its permanent location (right by the window with the sun coming in, I think Precious loves it even more! We probably won't be the family with more than one dog running around or pets in every child's room, but for now, we have our cat. And we are happy with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment