Monday, July 18, 2011

One Year Later

Yesterday, Jon and I marked an important milestone. One year ago, we had our first official date.

July 17, 2010 - Jon picked me up right on time. I had been so nervous getting ready (I really wanted it to go well!). We had been joking during the week about NCAA 2011 coming out and playing that for our date. First, he took me downtown Mesa to Sweet Cakes, a very cute little place and we got dessert (yes, before dinner). You know it's going to be a good date when you get dessert first! Then we went to dinner at Macaroni Grill (the way to this girls heart is definitely through carbs!). Then we went to As You Wish - Jon knew I was a crafty chica and thought it would be perfect! It definitely was. Jon painted a helmet bank, one side IU, the other Indianapolis Colts. All through football season last year, he turned it so the team that was playing was facing out - I think he thought it would help them win. And I painted a little flowerpot that reads, "So many seeds, so little time." After As You Wish, I definitely wasn't ready for the date to end, so we went to Jon's house and watched Tommy Boy. Rather...we attempted to watch Tommy Boy. We started it, and it stopped. So Jon cleaned the disk and we tried again. About an hour into the movie, it wouldn't go any further. So Jon took me home, vowing that we would finish the movie at some point. (We finished the movie on our last surprise date before getting married - Jon recreated our first date for our last date as a non-married couple)

One year later, we've been married for 44 days, bought a house together, traveled to a foreign country together, flown across the country for me to meet his family for the first time, and had plenty of adventures along the way. One year ago, I had just graduated college, was eagerly searching for a job, and just starting to date Jon. It's been a busy year (first year teacher, buying a bank-owned home, planning a wedding), but I wouldn't trade a moment of it for anything! It's amazing to look back and see all that I've experienced and accomplished over the last year.

A great big thank you to my family and friends who watched all this happen, experienced it with me, encouraged me, and cheered me on. I am so blessed to have such a fabulous support system and feel grateful to the people in my life who enhance it on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. I get teary eyed (with joy) reading the recount of your first date and all that happened this past year. It has been a very good year. And if the past is any indication of the future, it will be rich, full, bright and fun.
    Much love - mom

    ReplyDelete