Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Bread Baking Bonanza!

As Jon and I began discussing which items to register for, Jon expressed a lot of interest in a bread machine. As a carb-o-holic, I readily agreed. My previous experience with a bread maker (detailed here) resulted in some frantic phone calls to my momma and some great takeaways about making bread.

Yesterday, I broke out the bread machine to make some beer bread. I gathered all my ingredients and set them all out (so they could get to room temperature before I tried to make the bread). After a couple hours, I put all the ingredients in the machine and hit start. It immediately sprang to life and began whirring and mixing.

An hour into the bread making cycle, I anxiously peered into the window. To my delight, the bread was rising! I excitedly proceeded to make sure Jon knew how pleased I was in my ability. Our house began to fill with the smells of bread being freshly made.

About an hour later, Jon cautiously approached me, "Honey, the bread maker smells like it's burning." I confidently replied, "Oh no, it's fine! The instructions say that it might even smoke the first time, but that's totally normal and nothing to worry about." Precisely 3 hours and 18 minutes after I hit start, the bread machine began beeping at me to signal it was done. I proudly took out my pot holders and transfered the bread pan to a cooling rack. After a few minutes, Jon and I decided it was time for a taste test.

And....

The results were unanimous - it was a success! Spurred on by my success, I decided to try my hand at pretzel making today. After a brief bit of juggling with my too big cookie sheet and my too small oven, from which I emerged the victor, my pretzels emerged cooked to perfection from the oven! And now...there's another loaf of bread rising away in the bread machine. 24 hours, 2 loafs of bread, and 12 pretzels in, I'm loving this machine a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment