Tuesday, May 10, 2011

House Lesson of the Day

Two house lessons rolled into one today.

First, before calling the garage repair guy, make sure there isn't a lock on the garage door. True story. Our garage door was only going about 6 inches up, would get stuck and would go back down. We really wanted to use our garage door, so I called the friendly folks at Anytime Garage Door. True to their word, they came out about an hour and a half later to look at my garage door to figure out why it wouldn't go up all the way. And the technician found...a master lock on the roller bar. It ended up being a really good thing they had come out because the rollers were flattening under the weight of the door and we needed new rollers, but Jon and I definitely felt smart at that moment!

Second, before calling the air conditioning repair guy, make sure the breaker isn't off. True story, again. This one is all me and I'll take full credit...errr, blame...for it. I replaced the batteries in our thermostat and the screen appeared for a few seconds, but then promptly turned off again. I re-tightened the screws, same thing. I flipped the air conditioner to on, nothing happened. Thankfully we invested in the home warranty when buying our home (I would definitely recommend it!), so I called the warranty company and got an appointment set up. After looking at the thermostat, the technician asked if the breaker box was in the backyard. After showing him where it was, opening the cover, looking at the air conditioning breaker...it hit me. It was off. Another high five moment for me!

Alright, lesson(s) learned: make sure to check out all the options before calling in the professionals and paying someone else to do what I easily could've done myself. Definitely feel like this (Could've done that myself!)

1 comment:

  1. Allison,
    Luckily this was something very simple to fix. But as you will find out there will be plenty more AH HA moments with purchasing a new home! Miss you bunches!!!

    ReplyDelete