Sunday, May 8, 2011

Home Sweet Home

Well it's official, I'm a homeowner. Jon and I have bought a house in Tempe that we will call home (hopefully) until our teeth fall out and all our hair is grey. That is to say unless we are really, really old! Like this cute old couple:

Cute old couples are the best! Anyway, back to the house. I love it. I am sitting in my living room now tearing up just thinking how much will transpire in this house, how many memories will be made here, and how much I just enjoy being in our home.

Getting to this point has been a little bit of a crazy journey, but it has been worth every moment of stress and every phone call I've had to make (for those of you who don't know, I really don't like making phone calls). I've learned so much about myself and my future husband and our relationship throughout this process. I feel our relationship is ten times stronger having gone through the process of buying a home together.

It has been an interesting experience flying from the nest after 22 years, but I am so thankful to my mom for equipping me to leave the nest in a gracious and capable manner. I think it's fitting to honor my mom for her contributions to my life on this day. My mom has taught me so much about being a woman, being gracious, and being kind. A few things that I will always remember:
  1. "Normal is a setting on a dryer...you are not meant to be normal." One day when I was having a particularly difficult day of junior high, my mom imparted these words of wisdom to me via a note left in my bathroom. What she meant was I don't have to be like everyone else, and I shouldn't want to be like everyone else. That's boring. She was right, I'm glad I'm not like everyone else!
  2. How to put on makeup. I've come a long way from the first days of wearing blue eyeshadow (there's no way I'm ever bringing these pictures out of the vault!), and I am thankful that my mom taught me how to present myself in a natural and appealing way.
  3. Be comfortable in yourself. I think this one flowed naturally out of her telling me I'm not normal. I am so grateful for the lessons my mom taught me about appreciating who I am and how I was made. I am God's creation, and I was created exactly as He wanted me to be.
  4. There is nothing more important than a well written thank you note. This one is self-explanatory, and so true. Everyone appreciates a handwritten note to acknowledge that you appreciate them.
Thank you mom for helping me become the woman I am today!

1 comment:

  1. I love you sweetie and it is an honor to be your mom. Watching you grow into the lovely woman you are today has been such a joy. Mom

    ReplyDelete