Sunday, April 3, 2011

Stressors

A stressor is defined as, "An agent, condition, or other stimulus that causes stress to an organism." From the very definition of the word, we glean that stressors can be different stimuli for different people. While that may be true, there are certain common stress factors. I came across a list here that lists the results of a survey detailing the most stressful life events.
  1. Death of a spouse
  2. Divorce
  3. Marital separation
  4. In jail
  5. Death of close family member
  6. Personal injury or illness
  7. Marriage
  8. Fired at work
  9. Marital reconciliation
  10. Retirement
I've not experienced much at all on that list, so I can't speak to the level of stress each causes. However, I think I have my own list (in no particular order).
  1. Buying a house.
  2. Buying a bank-owned house.
  3. The first year of a new career.
  4. Planning a wedding.
While I have made it one of my resolutions to choose less stress, I've taken on some pretty huge things all within a short time span. And with any big life changes, there is a certain amount of stress that comes along with that. I've found myself a few times in the midst of a particularly stressful moment getting frustrated and short with those around me. In those times, I have to stop myself and just be grateful that I get to have these experiences. I am so blessed to be able to buy a home with Jon to make our own. I am so blessed to be in a career that I absolutely love. I am blessed to be marrying a wonderful man and that we get to join our lives together forever.

I have so much for which to be grateful. While it might seem odd, I am grateful for the stress that comes with buying a home because it means that I'm in a position to buy a home in the first place. I am thankful for the quirks of our new house because it's our house. The green countertops in the laundry room are going to be OUR green countertops. The stinky storage shed is going to be OUR stinky storage shed. The broken door to the fourth bedroom is OUR broken door to OUR fourth bedroom. All of these little things should be celebrated because ultimately they are a sign of blessing.

I'm still resolved to choose the least stressful option when available. But I'm also resolved to be grateful in the stressful situations for the opportunities I've been given and the doors that have been opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment