Monday, June 7, 2010

Playing Catch up!

I have embarked on quite a few projects the last couple weeks….this comes after I have accumulated the supplies for lots of projects and got too busy to do them. I am now out of school, so I am getting down to business and working on the projects. First up, the bejeweled mirror!
I mixed a little purple and silver paint and brushed it on with a foam brush. Once it had dried I hot glued on the jewels that I picked up from SAS for $0.99/bag! When I bought the frame, it was just a plain wood frame…nothing inside. So I went on the hunt for mirror tiles. After checking Lowe's and Home Depot, I decided to hit up Goodwill. Oh how I love Goodwill! I found a box of 6 tiles for $4.99, but WAIT, they were 50% off! So I bought a glass cutter, covered my work space, got gloves, measured the mirror and cut the mirror down to size. Then I just used epoxy to glue it into the frame. I screwed in a couple eye hooks, attached some wire, and it's done!

Next up, the jewelry organization courtesy of Real Simple. I found the frame at Savers on Memorial Day and I wish I would have taken a picture of the whole thing before because the picture in it was, in the nicest way possible, tacky. So I went to work deconstructing the picture, peeling off the paper backing, taking out all the staples, removing the picture and glass. I got lucky and the cardboard in the picture was still usable, so I cut cork board to fit. I actually did two layers of cork which I think worked best. Then I covered it with velvet and used the glue gun to affix it to the back. I put the velvet covered cork in the frame and one of my all-time favorite tools (the staple gun) finished the job!


I used straight pins and hung some of my necklaces and bracelets and it's good to go!

I also found a towel holder at Goodwill on Memorial Day. A coat of paint and it has been repurposed into a jewelry holder as well!


It works for now, but I'm still on the hunt for a vintage looking bust that I could stack on some old books to hold a few special necklaces. I've been searching shopgoodwill.com and Craigslist as well as searching in store at Goodwill and Savers. But for now, this does the job and is rather cute if I do say so myself.

There are quite a few other projects that have been accumulating that I hope to get to over the summer. Next up, framing the bathroom mirror (hopefully)!

No comments:

Post a Comment