Monday, June 14, 2010

The bathroom update

I'm not sure how my redo the bathroom kick got started...but it did. I decided my first project was to frame the bathroom mirror. I found a perfect frame at Goodwill for $5.
My favorite part was the detail in the corners. I think it gives it that perfect vintage feel.
I painted it white and sanded it a little to give it a shabby chic look.

I decided to go look at Lowe's for paint just for the heck of it this week. And of course, I found a 5 gallon bucket of the perfect color...for the bathroom. Yes, it's a bit of overkill. But then I decided that when I move out I'll want the color for my own house (I love it that much!). So I walked out of Lowe's with my 5 gallon bucket of paint feeling rather pleased with myself. I got home that night to discover it's flat paint. (Silent groan) My grandma used to work at a paint store, so we called her to see if there was a way we could convert it to semi-gloss or put a gloss coat over it. She wasn't sure it would work, but since I'm not one to be discouraged I decided to give it a go anyway. My reasoning was, "you put a top coat on your nails, why can't you put one on your walls?"

Saturday morning, my mom and I decided to go to Sun City to go thrifting. But we thought we should get something done before we headed out there, so we got the mirror ready to take off the bathroom wall. We carried it downstairs and attempted to cut it down to size ourselves. We had all the proper equipment, but it was a little to thick or my line wasn't exactly straight. Long story short, we ended up breaking off more of the mirror than we intended. Oops! It just gave us another thing to scout in Sun City. We finally found a mirror big enough (once we were back on this side of town and stopped by Goodwill). We decided to leave this cutting to the professionals, so we called the helpful, friendly people at Ace Hardware. We came home and I used epoxy putty to put the mirror in the frame. I loved it, but it wasn't quite right. I really wished the frame had a little gloss to it.

I decided yesterday was the perfect day to start painting the bathroom. I taped off three walls (still waiting for plumber to finish the repair on the last wall). And got to work. As soon as we had two coats on the walls, I knew it was the perfect color. I was totally in love! My mom and I decided to go to Lowe's to see if we could get any type of a glaze to mix with some paint or something similar. What we found was even better! We found a clear protective paint with a gloss finish. I used it first on the mirror frame and I just finished putting the gloss on the bathroom walls. I am so pleased with how this is turning out! I will post more updates as I get more done.

I'm hoping to decopauge the cabinet I had in the bathroom before and stencil on it, find a chandelier to replace the light fixture currently in there, sew a new shower curtain, and if I'm adventurous do the drywall repair myself then finish the painting!

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful, inspiring and amazing, Dear Graduate! Keep on the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need any help with drywall repair, just give me a call! I've certainly done my fair share, and I have all the tools =)

    ReplyDelete