Thursday, March 11, 2010

As the countdown begins...a look at the last four years

There are officially, nine weeks until I graduate. First thought: Yikes! Second thought: shout Hallelujah! It seems like the past four years have gone by in a whirlwind, and yet I definitely feel like a different person than I was four years ago. Not totally different, but I do feel like I've changed.

My first impression of ASU four years ago (Fall 2006) was walking into PGS 101 (Intro to psychology) and a massive lecture hall full of people. Scared? Yes, that could describe how I was feeling. It was incredibly overwhelming and there were people everywhere. People I was sure could tell that I was freshman who had know idea what she was doing. In reality, I was pretty confident in what I was doing at ASU. I was pursuing a degree in political science, and afterwards, I'd pursue a career in politics. My other classes first semester included: Intro to Asian Pacific American Studies (at 7:40am), Women and Society, Religious of the World, and Women in Western European Democracies. Suddenly, I was surrounded by so many people who knew so much! I was immersed in classes with professors who were experts in their fields. It was amazing! I've always enjoyed learning and going to school, but this was beyond cool even for me.

By the time Fall 2008 rolled around, I was finishing up the requirements for my political science degree. But I still had 3 semesters left...not being one to waste time, I decided to pursue a minor. About this time, I decided I would like to teach after graduation, so I added a minor in English Literature. I really do have a passion for education, and I believe a solid English education is a great foundation. Communication skills are needed so badly by so many, that I thought I could make a difference in that way.

After I registered for Fall 2009 semester, it became apparent that I only had one more English class I needed in Spring 2010 (this semester). Being on scholarship, I have to remain full time to maintain my scholarship (among other requirements). So I decided to add another minor. I looked over my Degree Audit Report (DARS) and saw I already had two classes towards a Women and Gender Studies minor. Off to my advisor I went! After meetings with my political science advisor and the women and gender studies advisor, I was all set to get the second minor. I had enjoyed the women's studies classes I'd taken before, and thought the minor would be interesting. It definitely has been!

College has opened my eyes to different experiences and different types of people around every corner. I remember walking on campus one day and hearing people around me speaking in different languages, and I thought "This is what college is supposed to be." A meshing together of different cultures and backgrounds all in the name of education. But it's been so much more. My degree plans have changed from a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science to a Bachelor of Science in Political Science, an English minor and a Women and Gender Studies minor. I've greatly enjoyed getting a well-rounded education, but also all of the real world learning that has occurred for me.

So, where do I go from here? I've decided to study for the LSAT, take it in October, see how I do, and apply to Law School. Back in high school, I was convinced I wanted to be a lawyer, and now I've come full circle. It will be an adventure for sure, but one that I am excited about and feel ready for. And anyone that wants to volunteer to help me study is gladly welcomed!

2 comments:

  1. re. your LSAT prep., you might find our free podcast helpful.

    www.lawschoolpodcaster.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you Allison! Can't wait to see you at graduation! enjoy your Spring Break! Love, Aunt Sondra xo

    ReplyDelete